Saturday, February 23, 2013

IZH Baikal 60

Before I formed an opinion about the IZH 53M, I was intrigued by the IZH 60 rifle and I decided to try one.  This rifle also had good reviews, so it seemed like a safe investment.

There is a repeater version of the IZH 60 - the IZH 61 - which uses a 5 shot clip, but I decided to go with the one shot IZH 60 because the clip operation of the 61 model was reported to be a bit finicky.

Operation

The IZH 60 is a spring piston rifle, but while most spring piston rifles use a break barrel mechanism, this Baikal model uses a side lever. This side lever is normally locked against the rifle body and needs to first be released by pressing a rod under its handle - this releases the lever, which can now be pulled to compress the spring - this movement will also release the bolt, exposing the breech for loading a pellet. Once the spring is cocked, the lever can be brought back along the side of the rifle to be locked. Not getting the side lever locked will prevent the bolt action from staying closed, so you need to push the lever against the rifle body to engage its lock. Next step is to load a pellet into the breech and close the bolt - the gun is now ready to fire; like the 53M, it has no safety.

I was confused at first by which steps are required to operate this rifle, so I will repeat them again:
  1. Unlock the side lever by pressing the rod under its handle
  2. Pull back the side lever to compress the spring (the bolt will open automatically)
  3. Bring back the side lever, making sure to get it locked
  4. Place a pellet into the breech
  5. Close the bolt action - the rifle is ready to fire
The lever action is very easy and comfortable - it is only the pushing of the bolt to release the lever that can get a bit hard on the tip of the fingers, but I got used to it after a while.

Package and Build

Like the IZH 53M, the IZH 60 came in a cardboard box sealed in thick plastic. The rifle is wrapped in a piece of special paper that appears to be lightly oiled. The other contents are the manual, a cleaning rod, and a few spare pieces (a seal, a washer, and a small spring) that are wrapped in a tiny piece of paper and are attached by a small staple to the packaging of the cleaning rod - this small package is very easy to miss, so look out for it. I have not yet figured out where the spare pieces can be used, but it is nice to see them included.

BTW, additional spare parts can be found separately. Spare main springs can be purchased - these seem to have the same coiling as the spares for the IZH 53M pistol, but they are slightly shorter. However, one of the spares I acquired for the IZH 53M is exactly the same length as the spares for the IZH 60! I believe a spring from the IZH 53M could very well work in the IZH 60, but it would produce slightly less power, if it is of the shorter variety.

The Baikal model 60 is built from a combination of metal and plastic. Like in the case of model 53M, all pieces under stress are built out of metal. The trigger piece is plastic, but the trigger mechanism is metal. I have no concern about the durability of this rifle. Furthermore, the plastic used here is of higher quality than the one used for the stock of the IZH 53M - it has no blemishes and is very nicely textured. The rifle barrel is metal forged, as all Baikal barrels appear to be. The lever seemed a bit frail - it is basically a thin metallic U frame - but I do not see any signs that it cannot fulfill its job.

At 33" long, the IZH 60 is also one of the shortest adult rifles available on the market. I liked its style in pictures and in real life it looks even better. Both the pistol grip and the forward grip are nicely shaped and very comfortable to hold.

There is one big problem and it took me a while to notice it and to get certain that I am not imagining things: the barrel is not mounted parallel to the stock - it is slanted towards the right. This is an assembly issue and based on other reviews complaining about the rifle shooting to the right, I suspect that this is a general manufacturing issue.

A couple more issues are related to the shape of the rod that needs to be pushed to release the side lever and to the shape of the bolt handle. The side lever release rod is a bit harsh on the fingers - a flatter surface would help there. The bolt handle is too thin and is lacking the classical round end. I got used with both these aspects after a while, but they are worth mentioning.

Adjustable settings

The two main adjustable settings are the rear sight and the shoulder stock length.

The rear sight can be adjusted for both elevation and windage. Elevation can be adjusted very conveniently and precisely by rotating a wheel, but windage adjustment is less elegant and requires loosening two screws to move the sight laterally.

The degree of freedom for the windage adjustment is insufficient to allow compensating for the degree of barrel slant - I have it set all the way to the left and the rifle still shoots a bit to the right. The rear sight also has a weird design: there is a fixed post on the rifle that has two elongated holes through which two screws go into the moving sight piece. The holes in the fixed post determine the degree of adjustment of the sight piece and they cannot be enlarged further. If the elongated holes would have been on the sight piece and the screws would have went into the post piece, I could have built a new sight piece easily, but as it is, I need to not only drill holes into a replacement sight but I also need to get them threaded for the size of the screws.

Adjusting the stock is very easy - loosen a screw at the bottom of the stock and then pull the stock back. If you want more length, you need to completely remove the screw, pull out the stock, and then move the piece into which the screw engages into a second slot away from the gun, then screw the stock back against that - this will give you an extra inch over the factory setting. I pulled the stock all the way back at the first setting and that works great for me - it is nice to know that it can still go either way.

Performance

The IZH 60 is a very accurate rifle and, as a result, I use it as the standard against which I judge other airguns. This rifle is also rather silent, just like its relative, the IZH 53M pistol. Power is excellent for target shooting, maybe even a bit too strong for that. However, among airgun rifles, the IZH 60 probably has the lowest power, so keep my previous comment in the context of target shooting. There are pistols that have more power than this rifle (the Crosman 1377C is one of them), but they also require more force (to pump or to compress the spring piston), so when it comes to target shooting, my Gamo pellet trap feels the difference.

The sights work very well (with some caveats I mentioned earlier) - the distance between the front and rear sights also helps with accuracy. The trigger is crisp - it has little travel, requires an adequate amount of force, and then breaks quickly - I might criticize it a bit on a pistol, but it feels right for a rifle that is easier to hold steady. So far, I did not see the degradation in performance that I noticed in the IZH 53M trigger.

There is nothing not to like about the performance of the IZH 60 - this is a very well designed rifle.

Conclusion

What I like the most about the IZH 60 is how reliable its accuracy is. Together with the Crosman 1377C, this is one of my most reliable airguns. The style of the rifle also makes it very attractive and pleasant to use.

The only significant negative is the assembly quality, which for my sample resulted in a barrel that is slanted against the stock of the rifle. But even this drawback does not remove much from my enjoyment of this nice rifle.

5 comments:

  1. I'd agree with everything here but go a bit further. I've been using the 61 with the 5 pellet clip for a couple of months now, and the immediate problem was the length of the stock. Even fully extended it was far too short for me and it needed a 1.5 inch extension.

    I wasn't prepared to put up with the iron sights as I wanted to shoot consistently at either 30 feet or 100 feet, so the first thing was a one-piece ring set fitted with a dovetail mount. This has 4 allen screws to hold it, but even then the scope began to creep. Fixed this by using a semi-rigid adhesive along its length!

    It was instantly apparent that with a scope the stock was too low, so I made up a padded cheek riser. (The toughness of the ABS plastic became apparent when trying to drill it - I needed a metal drill to get through it.) Using a scope there was no indication of any barrel cant so your comments came as a surprise.

    Several comments overall. The spring has quite a 'twang' - fixed by filling the hollow (resonating) areas of the shoulder stock and the front stock with expanding urethane foam. The clip of 5 pellets is a great idea but the design of the clip is lousy and thas no grip on the pellets, making them prone to falling out when loading. But a bit of practice makes it easy to cover the strip the your thumb when loading.

    The gun is sensitive. A tight hold will affect the POI, as will using a bipod compared to a padded rest. To begin with, every time I shot it, it seemed that the zero had gone out! Then I realised that using a scope needed a consistent cheek weld or else the pellets would group themselves off-centre. Likewise with the hold/grip/bipod. There seemed to be a lot of variables to sort out.

    Having got them all straight now (ie having sorted out my technique!) I'm delighted with the gun. It's actually quite low-powered for an air rifle (a little under 500 fps with 5.5 gm pellets - less than 7 joules) but at 10 metres it will put domed pellets through a 5-ply backing sheet. The speed of cocking with the side lever and 5-shot clip is a delight. And the accuracy is spot on, as advertised.

    It seems to have a very flat trajectory with 5.5 gm RWS superdomes: zeroed at 30 feet I need only to aim about half a mil-dot higher at 70 feet and hardly more than that at 100 feet. The grouping is super too; it's rare to shoot a group of 5 at 30 feet that aren't touching. And at 90 feet I can usually put all shots into a one-inch circle.

    My location doesn't allow me more than 100 feet, so the next phase is to take it out on a range somewhere and see how I can cope with longer distances. Overall it's a super little gun, individual, unusual and accurate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience, Rob!

      This is the only rifle I tried and I tried it just to see how much improvement a stock would make for my shooting at up to 10m distances. And I picked it up because of its low power, so it wouldn't overwhelm my Gamo trap. Even so, it is probably the hardest hitting airgun I have, on default settings (the Webley is supposed to shoot faster at 3 pumps, but I only pumped it thrice a few times).

      Barrel cant must be a QC issue; I have seen at least one other owner mentioning it and I also saw mentions of features being dropped from the initial design, so I imagine that Baikal is cutting production costs and my sample was a victim of that - glad to hear yours is fine, though.

      Your mention about the gun being sensitive is interesting. As a reference for pistols, I obviously shoot it better than any of them. But your impression correlates with my impression of the IZH-53M pistol. I tried the artillery grip with that and I did not get any better. I guess that if I would try this rifle at longer distances I would notice the same problem. But now, I rarely shoot it because I have yet to equal with a pistol the best group I got from it.

      Thank you again, for sharing your impressions.

      Delete
  2. Thanks in part to your detailed review I purchased a Baikal IZH60 and it has quickly become my favorite airgun. Quality of mine was outstanding. It is my first spring piston rifle (been shooting multi-pump pneumatics for decades). Never liked the idea of a break barrel so the side-lever is much to my liking. Very easy to cock and I can squeeze off 25 single shots in little time with little effort. The accuracy is outstanding, using cheap Crosman Competition pellets. Using the artillery hold for the first time ever, I found that technique easy to adopt and it results in very good accuracy, the gun is a bit better than I am. I was looking for the best rifle for the money to target-shoot in my basement and do not think that I could have made a better choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you are enjoying the IZH-60! Thank you for posting your impressions!

      Delete
  3. My IZH 60 is a jem I have the peep sight and this gun is very accurate I shoot ten meters and can put ten shots covered by a
    quarter.

    ReplyDelete